Monday, May 25, 2009

Fear....

Fear is some crazy thing that sneaks up on you when you least expect it. I've been struggling with what I thought was motivation issues, when really, what I've discovered today, is that I was simply allowing fear to control my decision to get out and run. I think I've been dealing with this on and off since the hip injury and I've been allowing it to hold me back. It's interesting because this is exactly what I preach to those around me....yet, here I am allowing fear to take the wheel in my life.

So, I pushed through today and hit the road for an easy 2.25 mi run. Nothing crazy, just wanted to get out there because it had been a while......actually, many weeks have passed since my last run! I needed to start somewhere and this was a simple run I could use to get me started. Now, my road is rather hilly, so not only did I get my starter run in, I also made it over some hills. I felt pretty darn good when I got home and started thinking, what the heck was I so afraid of?!?

This week I'll probably keep to the 2.25 mi run, maybe move up to 3.5 depending on how I'm feeling. I'm planning a longer run, maybe 5 mi max, as my long weekend run. I'll still be keeping my gym workouts in check, so the running will be added exercise this week. Boilermaker is only 48 days away, so I need to be very diligent about getting my runs in and increasing my miles over the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa,
Get out and run to get rid of all your stress and relax,nothing helps better than to run and try to forget your problems.Also the more you run the more energy you will have later.But remember have fun!

Mark

Kate (Berry) Tompkins said...

I am the same way with my asthma! And it took me a while to realize that I just had to barrell through the fear. You can do it!

Krista said...

Sounds crazy to me. I couldn't do half a mile, I'm sure! You go girl.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Fear can be a powerful think glad you used it to your advantage. I work with Sof Sole on of the leading providers in footwear accessories like socks and insoles. We are coming out with new products for summer and I'd be happy to send you some free samples to assist you in your training. Just send me your shoe size and mailing address and all we ask is that you share your experiences online. Look forward to hearing from you and happy trails!

Kristin

sofsole.experience@gmail.com