Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fast & Furriest 10K & My Birthday!

In my quest to continue my marathon training and also participate in local runs, I decided I would do the Fast & Furriest 10K today, which is also my birthday! What a great way to start a day of celebration! :) I almost didn't make it to the run b/c it was pouring (and I mean torrential downpouring) at my house. I don't mind running in the rain, but not a major thunder & lightening storm!! Anyway, I decided to head downtown to the run in the off chance that the rain subsides........and it did!! Yay......and then it got muggy and sticky and just icky outside! Anyway, the air was heavy, but it was not too bad. The course was great, loved it, fairly flat and I met some people who run at my pace. I'm used to being at the back & I'm proud of my back of the pack runner status, but I've never actually had the cop on the motorcycle riding behind me! I guess there are always first's because that cop rode behind me (& my new friend) the entire final 2 miles. It was kind of funny b/c we weren't the last people, there were a bunch behind us still, but I think we were the last of the actual runners, the rest were walking. Either way, I had a nice chat with the cop and begged him to let me hop on the back of the bike! He was very supportive and cheered me on as I approached the finish line. It was also my best 10K time by about 18 seconds! It was a great way to start off my birthday and welcome in my 33rd year!

Now, next race is the Fleet Feet Firecracker 5 miler and then the Boilermaker!! Whoo Hoo!! And of course my weekly training.........

No comments: