Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hello Again.....

Once again, it's been a long time!! Since I last posted, I ran the first ever St. John Fisher College Run for Courage 5K to benefit Camp Good Days and Special Times. It was a fantastic run...I missed a PR by 10 seconds....around my alma mater (in fact, a double loop....hilly campus....not THAT enjoyable the second time around) which ended with the finish line in the middle of the football field. I had a great time with some great running friends and hope they plan it again for next year. The run was planned and carried out by the students in the Sport Mgmt program as a class project, so I hope future classes choose to continue the event.

I also ran the 37th annual Webster Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, which has become somewhat of a tradition for me. The run is 4.4 miles...give or take .2....and begins a little less than a mile from my house. So, after we drop the turkey off at the neighbors for smoking, I head home, meet up with some friends and we trek down the road. This year was a banner year for the run as they had over 2200 people registered, which is close to a 50% increase from last year! Crazy! Parking is tight around the start, so people were parked beyond my house, well over a mile from the start line. We tried to drive to the start area, but didn't even get 1/4 mile from my house. Pure craziness, but such a fabulous way to start the Thanksgiving holiday! I had a good run, felt good, and was motivated by thinking about all the thanksgiving goodies that were waiting for me at home!

Now, I'm figuring out a new training schedule because Rochester has added a Du/Tri/Half marathon weekend in April. I would actually really love to train and complete the Duathalon, which is on that saturday, and then the Half Marathon on sunday. I think it's doable with the right training, but we shall see. I'm started back at the gym about a week and a half ago and my body seems to be responding well and getting back into the groove fairly easily. Gold's is holding their Body Transformation Challenge again this year, starting next month. I'm definitely going to register because you absolutely can't beat the price for access to trainers and special classes, along with nutritional advice. Good stuff!

3 comments:

AZ said...

Two races, great job. I say go for the duathlon and half. You can definitely do it, just get the training in.

Mel Loughery said...

Thanks! I am thinking I can do both.....it's far enough away that I have time to get some great training in to prepare. Thanks for your words!! I always appreciate the support!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.