Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Incredibly sad and shocked...

I simply have no words to describe this feeling. I just learned that a running friend passed suddently the other day. Mark Barry was 57 yrs old and a truly inspiring runner. I first met Mark through Athlinks. The website matched us up because we had done so many of the same races (it actually matched us as rivals....even though he runs a 6/7 m mile to my 11-12!). Right from the start, I could tell Mark was a great guy who loved life and loved running! We began crossing paths at many Rochester area races and would discuss where we were at with training and what was up next. He competed in everything from 5k's to marathons and found success across the board.

Mark was always offering supportive and encouraging words and would commend all who simply got out there and ran, no matter how fast. I enjoyed this about him. He was never condescending just because I was a slower runner, he just offered encouragement and congrats on any running accomplishment.

As I train for the 2010 NYC Marathon, an event Mark ran in 2008, I will think of him and all the joy and dedication he ran with over the years. Mark, my NYC marathon is dedicated to you friend. I know you will be there in spirit.

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

Allie said...

Melissa, so sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your friend. What a wonderful tribute to him. Luv ya