Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Beautiful Running Weather....

Wow, finally the weather has broken and it is in the 50's/60's which translates to perfect running weather! I went for a nice 5mi run on sunday and felt great! Of course, armed with my new I-Pod that my husband bought me for my upcoming birthday and the new workout mix I burned from one of the trainers at the gym, how could I not have had a great run! In addition to the running, I've been doing a crazy weight/cardio program (Body Transformation Challenge) at my gym and it has really helped to enhance the running. I'm getting faster! Yay! I can't wait to do my first 5K of the season to see how much I have improved. It's coming up on April 19th, so I'm trying to gear up for that, but also not forget that I have a 1/2 marathon in June and have to keep my long runs in the schedule.

I was talking to one of my fellow challenge participants about running, during our training session last night, and it got me thinking about why I run....... Most people I talk to find it incredibly boring. That isn't my feeling at all. Running is extremely therapeutic, even with my music revving in my ears, I can think about what is going on in life, breathe in the fresh air, and just center and ground myself for whatever is coming at me in life. I guess the thinking part is what I really love. I don't know that people really spend time just thinking anymore. Running provides me an opportunity for pure thought and clarity. It is also a mental game for me. It is amazing to me how far my mind can push my body. When I feel like I've hit the wall, I can convince myself to run just a little bit farther and that seems to get me over the hump and running longer. It's amazing. Anway, that is my 2 cents for today........Can't wait for my 5K on the 19th!!

No comments: