Sunday, October 17, 2010

If you're slow, are you still considered a runner?

YES!! In my books, if you go out there and do it, no matter your speed, you are a runner. I might have a biased opinion because I'm a slow runner, but seriously, if you put in the energy and the training, shouldn't you get the same label as someone who is faster?

I started thinking about this when I learned that the Today Show's Al Roker will be running the NYC Marathon. Fantastic!! Kudos to you Al for taking on the challenge of a marathon after all you've been through with your weight. My mom had the same surgery as Mr. Roker, so I have first hand knowledge of what he experienced and the work he had to put in to make a permanent life change. I applaud him!!

I'm super duper excited because he is listed as running at a 13:00 min/mile pace. I have been averaging between 11:30-12:30 (depending on the hills) so maybe we'll run into each other on the course! How cool would that be....running in NYC with Al Roker! I'm planning to have my camera with me so if I do see Al, you better believe I'll be taking a picture!

Now, after reading the article announcing his entrance into the marathon, I read the comments and found some that said in no uncertain terms that he was not a runner and should consider himself a fast walker at best. Really? I'm pretty sure he has been training just as hard as the next guy to assure a finish on Nov. 7th. I have friends who are far faster than me and I joke with them about saving me some water at the end or maybe a banana so I don't miss out on post race food/drink! These people have never acted as if I was a poser because I call myself a runner.

Running is one of those sports that simply amazes me. I mean, think about it.....in what other sport can a world record holding marathoner and a 13 min miler share the same stage? It is truly special. In what other sport do you find the stories of life and survival and the shear will to cross a finish line that is 26.2 miles away? I'm a lover of all kinds of sports, so don't take this as me saying that running is superior to other sporting events. I'm just saying, not every Joe who tosses a football in the backyard is going to be in the NFL, but anyone who has the determination and desire, can run....no matter what distance.

No comments: