Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let's try some new shoes....

I'm in need of new running sneakers. The pair I'm in are far past their prime (I know, bad!) and with my training continuing to ramp up, I'm looking for a new pair. I've been running in Brooks Adrenaline for a long time and love them. I tried Saucony's at one point and immediately went back to Brooks. Hated the Saucony's after about a month. My running friend Diane has always worn Brooks as well and just switched to Mizuno's and loves them, so I thought....why not? WRONG!!! I picked up these lovely new Mizuno Wave Inspire 6's this past friday and took them out for a spin yesterday. Now, these are also a 1/2 size bigger than my Brooks. They felt good initially and when I stopped to wait for a traffic light and took off again, I felt a nice heel cushion and was almost bouncing. That was all during the first mile. Everything after that went downhill. Maybe I took them out for too long of a run, but wow, my feet were killing about 5 miles in and at the end (about 8.2) I had 2 blisters. I haven't had a blister in a very long time! Booo! So, I'm headed back to Fleet Feet to swap these out for my tried and true Brooks Adrenaline's!

Aside from the foot issue, I had a really nice run! It was a gorgeous day and I set out to get what I thought was a 6 mile run, but when I went back and checked, it was actually 8.2! Not too shabby! Of course, this is still in prep for this sunday's Unity Health System Flower City Challenge 1/2 Marathon. This is totally going to be a training run for me, I'll be lucky if I touch my PR from the fall. I'm going to run with a 2:30 pace group, but my best half is 2:37, so that will certainly be pushing it! I know I can do it, and I'm hoping that running with the pace group will push me to hit that 2:30 mark!

Hope everyone's training is going well!!

I'm enjoying Spring Break week and the beautiful weather in Upstate NY!

4 comments:

AZ said...

Best of luck with your half marathon this weekend.

Also, don't forget to have carbs after your endurance workouts. They fuel your runs and need to be replaced. The proteins are good to rebuild your muscles so both are necessary.

Krista said...

You inspire me :) So glad you're aiming for the NYC marathon. I will check in when I can!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you for making the nyc marathon!!

But... don't knock mizunos-they're my absolute faves! I think it's because we have feet that are 100% different. Mine are big and flat... yours are definitely not big. Or even average-sized. ;)

Talk soon!
Lauren

Mel Loughery said...

haha! Thanks Lauren...and hey, leave my baby feet out of it!! :)