Sunday, April 18, 2010

Running Nutrition Education 101

I'm working on educating myself as best I can before my "official" marathon training begins. I want to be in the best shape possible before I begin this program because I've been plagued with injuries during past trainings (including a nasty stress fracture in my hip & lots of time on crutches). I realize I can't possibly know everything, but I'd like to know enough to keep me healthy!

Right now I'm working on Nutrition Education for endurance events. I've found a great deal of information and right now I'm reading through How to Fuel for a Marathon on Active.com. I'm going through this because I often suffer from (I apologize for TMI!!) runner's trots on most runs over 3 miles. Awesome....kind of hurts the training when I have to keep stopping to find a bathroom.....or side of the road.....or woods.....you get the picture.

Any thoughts on best nutrition before and after long runs will be greatly appreciated!

Happy Running!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for stopping by! And it's not TMI - runners talk about poo more than any other people :) The best thing to do is just experiment with different foods. For me, I've found the best combination is a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter before a long run. Other people I know just eat a Clif bar or have oatmeal or toast. It just depends on you.

AZ said...

I agree with Erin, you just have to keep experimenting with things until you find what works for you. Have you used gels before? Those are very good fuel for endurance events.