Friday, October 24, 2008

Long week....

It has been a crazy long week!! My internship has been an incredible experience! Some of the students reinforced my decision to become a counselor when they told me I should be a counselor b/c I've helped them so much! I then explained to them what I was doing at their school and that I was going to be a counselor when I was done. One of the same girls came in to see me yesterday with her 1st marking period grades b/c she wanted me to see them....little did she know, I had already peaked at them in her student record! She did very well! I love being in the city schools and I love working with that population of students! There are so many diamonds in the rough. I have already learned so much about the resilience these kids have, just by listening to their stories and the challenges they have faced in their lives.

Classes are going well. I'm in the middle of midterms, papers, etc, so it's been rather stressful the past few weeks. I can't wait until December b/c I will be officially done with all the coursework for the program. Next semester I will only need to work on my thesis and finish my internship! Whoo Hoo!!

I have been hitting the gym whenever I can, but I'm having hip and low back pain. Ugh! It makes me nervous b/c I don't want a new hip at 33! So, I'll still take it easy for a while. I had my final appt last week and he cleared me to start doing things again, but I must remain low impact. I definitely won't be running until after the 1st of the year and my next road race won't be until Johnny's Runnin' of the Green in March '09.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least someone is making a difference in these kids lives. I am so proud of what you are doing. Hopefully at least one of my students will learn something from me this year. If only I can get them to stop fighting! :P
Karen :)